ELA 11A- Tri 2 Exam- Roestel

Final Exam Essay 

The goals that I chose for myself to reach this trimester was to read more, write more often, and lengthen my writing. Every english class I think is just stupid and a waste of time, but Andy my teacher taught me how to suck it up and just give it a try for once. Now that I have had a whole trimester to reflect on what I have been doing in class I realize that yes it did suck at some points but it wasn’t bad. All the reading and writing that Andy made us do helped because it taught me how to keep with a book and finish it. Normally I just read a couple of pages and drop the book and then when it comes time to write about what we read in class I just put down a bunch of random bull shit. This trimester I finished a whole comic book and then when it came time to write about what we were reading, I knew what to write instead of putting a bunch of random shit down that didn’t make any sense. I told myself that I wanted to lengthen my writing because I didn’t like writing at all and would just short paragraphs in my other english classes. Before I said that the only writing that I did was on my phone. Now in Andy’s class I am doing creative writings everyday help because I didn’t write that much and at the beginning of the trimester I didn’t write that much during the creative writings, but towards the middle and end of the trimester I got use to writing I felt comfortable about writing and I just would write and tell a whole story were before I would be so tense and wouldn’t want to write so I would just write a couple of sentences. So did I meet these goals? I would most definitely say that before I would never read a book and now I am starting to read more books not just in school but out of school too. I definitely met my writing goals. I write almost every day now in Andy’s class and I’m not just writing small paragraphs I am writing a lot bigger paragraphs. 

Hunting on halloween thats was my last blog post but I would say it’s my best one yet. Why do I think it’s my best one yet? Because I told a whole story of mine with out stopping becuase I thought it was to embaressing or it was stupid. I put all my stress and emotions aside and just wrote. That’s what I think I improved in the most was just putting all things aside and just writing. Before I wouldn’t write at all and if I did it would have been very short and sweet. This class has taught me to just let loose and do what I felt was right. So yes I think that hunting on halloween was my best blog post because I just let loose and told my whole story about me shooting a deer. That was the blog post that stood out the most to me because I wrote the most compared to all of the other blog posts that I had written in the past. 

I think I put most of my efforts into my creative writings. The impact it had on me was huge in my opinion because I never wrote before and these showed me that it was ok to write in here and open up about things. It definitely taught me to proofread my writings  because before I would just write something and then turn it in. When I would get my writings back from my teacher Andy they would just be filled with comments saying that I had to fix this and that. So the next writings that I did I was trying to go through them and make sure that my stuff was right so my teacher didn’t have to do as much work. I also thought to myself that I wasn’t gonna have anyone to proofread my writings when I get older and out of school so I might just want to start doing them myself so I can just get used to it now.  

Which intellectual risk seemed to have the richest reward?  I would have to say the reading that I was doing in class. I read two comic books and those help me a lot. When I read those books I had something to write about for my writings in class. How did it shift your approach? This shifted my approach about picking a book in school and out of school and reading it. It showed that books aren’t always bad and that it doesn’t hurt to pick one up once in a while and read it. Ever since I have been reading I have been able to lengthen my writing more so I have something to talk about, where before when we were doing writings about the books we read I would just drag on about something random because I didn’t know what I was talking about because I didn’t read any books that I was suppose to read.  

What do I think I am adding to my overall literacy repertoire? I think I am adding way more reading and writing. I write every other day in english class and out of school I sometimes write too. I also have been reading more and more in and outside of school. At the beginning of the trimester I didn’t read or write for shit. If it wasn’t on my phone then I wouldn’t care. Now that it’s at the end of the trimester It has opened my eyes to read and write more and more and that it can help you. I didn’t realize how much information that books can have and that not all information comes off your phone. So yes I would most definitely say that I have added a whole ton more reading and writing to my literacy repertoire.