Final Exam

Dilan Roestel 

Final Exam 

3rd hour 

English 12 A

3/4/2021

I chose the goal I did because that’s where I really struggled the most when it came to reading and the only way I could get better was to go at the biggest thing I was bad at and try to better myself at those things. It did take me a while to meet my goals but feel like I have completed my goals. Taking a look back at what I wanted to do better as a reader I wanted to be able to sit for longer periods of time so I could get in some good reading. I am a person who can’t sit still that much, but I have been able to sit for longer periods of time in class reading my book and I have been reading on my own at home and I have been able to get some good reading done here at home also. I also had a goal of finishing 3 full books before the trimester was over and I would say I am doing pretty good at that because I gave myself another challenge of picking up a bigger book so it has taken me a long time to get through it but I am almost done with it and I would say that would be about my 3 books because the book is so big. I also had a goal of not starting and stopping a book and I have been doing really good at that. I have been staying consistent with the book I am reading right now.

The one goal that stands out to me with a lot of growth is being able to sit still for a longer period of time. Before I couldn’t keep reading because every time I had the slightest noise or when someone walked by me I would have to head up from my book to see what was going on but now I have been getting better by blocking out those distractions and being able to read my book. 

I put the most effort into reading at home. Let’s face it there are a lot of things going on in this world that set people back from their goals like working, family, and going out with friends. As for mine, I wanted to be able to finish 3 books before the trimester ended. I pushed out a lot of those distractions to come very very close to finishing one book that is like 3 times the size of the books that I normally read. So that’s why I would count the one book I am reading as 3 in my opinion.

what intellectual risk seemed to have the richest reward? I would say the biggest risk I took was being able to finish the book I chose before the trimester was over knowing how busy I get with things. But I buckled down and I got to the tail end of the book and I will finish that book within the next few days which I would say was good enough for me. I shifted my approach at this goal because it was the most challenging one, so I had to push through a lot of those distractions and get through my reading. Since I have played sports pretty much my whole life I am a very competitive person and I wanted to give myself the biggest challenge I could give myself and I say I did that.  

Why do you believe you are adding to your overall literacy repertoire? I believe that I am adding to my overall literacy repertoire because I gave myself the goals that I needed to work on the most. The goals won’t just help me in school, these goals that I have completed are gonna help me throughout my working career. For example, one of my goals was being able to sit still and I have been able to better myself in that and that will help me at work in the future when it comes to getting a task from my boss I will have to be able to block out the distractions and sit still to focus on the task that is being given to me so that I don’t mess up when it comes to going the task that my boss has to give me. That’s why I believe I am adding to my literacy repertoire because I gave myself goals that would better myself as a reader and for the future of my career.